Monday, May 26, 2008

Travel should take you places.

That is Hilton's new 1 billion dollar (yes, you read that right) ad campaign for its chain of hotels and resorts. It's also rather self-evident: travel, well, does take you places. Hence the "travel" part.

But Americans, who are already among the worst-traveled people in the world, may be going to far fewer places following an announcement by American Airlines that the carrier will begin charging $15 for the first checked bag. This comes a few months after the scandalous $25 per-second-bag charge that irked me so much a few months ago that I had to blog about it.

You see, I love my travel. I've flown over 20 flights in the past year, mostly on Delta (I'm a slave to their frequent-flier program and the lure, however false, of free travel), and even though the flight experience itself tends to be categorically awful - delayed or canceled flights, frigid cabin temperatures, surly attendants - I absolutely love the feeling of landing and exploring somewhere new. But, like so many other Americans, I'm also working on a budget. And that budget isn't helped by the recent skyrocketing of ticket prices. For example: in 2004, I paid $485 for a round-trip economy ticket to London in July, whereas the same ticket, with the same airline, cost me $1056 in 2007. Flying now means sacrificing Starbucks and shoes, my two principal indulgences, but I'll do it if it means I can grab a few days in Europe.

Unfortunately, American and other airlines (Delta Air Lines, Northwest Airlines and US Airways Group are all considering following suit) penalize travelers like me for precisely that cost-cutting impulse. They don't charge the first-class passengers (i.e. those who could afford the surcharge) for additional bags; first-class is still allowed to check up to three bags at no charge. But the steerage passengers, in addition to having to pay $1056 for their cramped 16 inches of toe-numbing personal space and $12 for an inflight salad, now have to cough up $15 if they want to bring anything along with them on their travels. (And, given the tourist impulses I've observed, they'll likely need the $25 for the second bag to hold all the stuff they cart home.)

This new charge won't impact me as much as some of my fellow travelers; I've almost perfected the art of a self-imposed carry-on-only travel policy, and have gone as far away from home as Denver, Toronto, and London with only a 20" upright. This may not sound like much - Tony Bourdain and Rick Steve proudly trumpet their ability to fit a month's worth of travel accouterments into a duffel - but for me, this is serious forward progress. When I studied in London for a semester a few years ago, I had to buy a second suitcase to lug all my things back home. It was bright pink and so large I could curl up inside it with room to spare. I shudder to think of what Delta would charge me to check it these days.

No, what I object to here is the idea that the budget traveler is a golden goose, there to lay as many eggs for the airline industry as possible before being savagely ripped apart and devoured...okay, perhaps the metaphor doesn't extend that far. But it's painfully obvious to me (especially after having flown in first class a few times) that the airlines consider the coach passenger an inconvenience from which as many fees and surcharges are to be sucked as possible before being crammed into what feels very much like a sardine tin and then ignored for however many hours it takes to reach the destination. And one day the airlines may find that - like the peasant who killed the goose eager to get the last bits of gold from it - in their attempt to extract every bit of cash they can they've destroyed our ability to spend any money on travel at all.

0 comments: